Reading Profile

I’ve always loved to read and was encouraged to read anything and everything by my parents from a young age. I enjoy all types of genres, especially classic literature, historical fiction, nonfiction, fantasy, and adventure. My least favorite genre is science fiction, and I’m not totally sure why, but I have always had an incredibly difficult time with the genre. I am challenging myself to read a sci fi for this class, so we’ll see how that goes! The past couple of years, I’ve expanded what I typically read by branching out into graphic novels and romance. I’ve found that when I’m stressed, having a guaranteed happy ending in a romance novel is incredibly comforting. Given current events, I’ve found myself reading more romance than I ever have.


Starting last year and continuing to this year, I am challenging myself to read more books by diverse authors. Since I’ve mainly been reading romance, I’ve found that doing this adds more depth to what I’m reading in the genre I’m currently drawn to. I’ve always seen reading as a way to expand your knowledge of people and the world around you no matter the genre, and it has been wonderful to continue to learn about other people and cultures in a genre that is stereotypically seen as not very deep. I love the idea brought forth in The Readers’ Advisory Guide to Genre Fiction that Readers’ Advisory is to “find titles that they will enjoy, that will enrich their lives, ...and help them navigate the fascinating and fulfilling world of stories.” (Wyatt & Sarricks, 2019). While I enjoy doing this with my own reading, I am glad this class will help give me the tools to do this with patrons.


I am currently reading several books. My chosen audiobook series right now is A Series of Unfortunate Events voiced by Tim Curry. It’s absolutely amazing! I never read the series as a child, but my family and I just finished the Netflix series, so I wanted to read. I am starting Sarah J. Maas’ A Court of Thorns and Roses with a couple of my coworkers. I love creating impromptu book clubs with friends! Lastly, I’m reading How to Read a Dress: A Guide to Changing Fashion from the 16th to 20th Century by Lydia Edwards. I found this when selecting books for the display tables at the library I work, and fashion history is a niche topic I find fascinating.


Feel free to follow me on Goodreads!


Favorite Series
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan
League of Extraordinary Women by Evie Dunmore
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling


Favorite Books
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Walk Two Moons By Sharon Creech
The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
Heartstopper by Alice Oseman
Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey Mcquiston
The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Reference 

Wyatt, N., & Saricks, J. G. (2019). The readers' advisory guide to genre fiction. ALA Editions.

Comments

  1. Hi Taylor!

    I have never read A Series of Unfortunate Events but it has long been on my TBR list. Knowing that Tim Curry narrates the series makes me even more motivated to start it soon! Science fiction is probably the genre I read the least so I have also chosen to read one for this class. I look forward to reading which title you choose and how the experience is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The audio version of A Series of Unfortunate Events is SO GOOD! Great reading profile!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment